Monday, April 7, 2008

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

I don't like fantasy books. I do like books with a little magic in them - after all, that isn't a fantasy. "Garden Spells" is the story of the Waverley family. Everyone in the family has some sort of 'gift'. Claire, the main character, is a caterer. She is quite successful because she uses ingredients from her garden which cause reactions from the people that eat them. (i.e. keeping secrets, making people thoughtful etc.) My favorite character is the cousin, Evanelle. Her gift is that she hands out unexpected 'gifts' to people all over town. They may not need the quarters, the bandage or whatever at that moment - but soon they find themselves in a situation where they are needed. Claire's sister Sydney comes back to the hometown with a daughter. So there is the usual - sisters having problems with things that happened in the past...................
I liked the book a lot!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I enjoyed this book, too! It was a fun read and the mystical aspects made me stop and think just a little bit.