Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Boom by Tom Brokaw

I am a baby boomer. I grew up in the sixties and graduated from college in 1970. As I was reading (actually I was listening to it) the book, I was constantly hearing songs in my head (as the titles were mentioned) and pictures in my mind of long-ago newscasts of assassinations, moon walks and body bags. Yeah, that's right - I remember all of that. It is what was actually happening that eluded my memory - well that isn't exactly right. I lived out the sixties in Indianola - race riots, anti-war demonstrations and bra burning ceremonies were not being held on our campus or in Buxton Park. So this book brought me up-to-date on how influential that decade was and what changes came about because of those times. Brokaw does a magnificent job of connecting the past to the present and telling the stories of many people - most of whom you will recognize. It was very well done and kept my interest. It also made me realize how fortunate I as to have been in the middle of Iowa - where I was kept naive but happy.

No comments: