Monday, December 29, 2008

The Leper by Steve Thayer

When I was a teenager I checked out a book called Miracle at Carville. It was the true story of a young woman who is on the brink of living a wonderful life with a great guy. Everything ended when she was diagnosed with leprosy. When I started working at the library and found out about inter-library loans, I decided to see if I could find a copy of it. I found it, ordered it and reread it. That was about six years ago. Yesterday at work I was covering books and, as I always do, read the jacket cover. I was hooked right away. This novel is very well written and is fascinating. You don't hear about leprosy today. For one reason they only refer to it by the more politically correct name of Hansen's disease. There are now drugs that can handle it. Leprosy is not a very contagious disease. It earned its reputation from the Bible and from some of the repulsive physical changes that occur in some of its victims. To be diagnosed in the last century meant a ride in a confined cattle car. No air, little food, little water and a bucket for calls of nature. The end of the line was a hellhole in Louisiana. Most victims went by aliases so that they could protect their families. This is the fictionalized story of one man's journey through life as a leper. It is very similar in tone and content to the non-fiction book I read. I think I'm going on a little bit too long and have turned this blog into a lecture - so I'll quit! I highly recommend this book!

No comments: