Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow 305.4 Zas

Jeffrey Zaslow co-wrote the book The Last Lecture and it was fabulous. He has done an equally great job on this book. It is very well written and reads easily - I read it in less than 24 hours. The amazing thing is that Jeffrey, a male, had the audacity to write about female friendships! I thought that was supposed to be one of the great mysteries that we hide from men. I am sure he got quite the education!
This is the story of 11 childhood friends from Ames Iowa who were born in the early '60s. Today there are 10 of them. They live in different states but what isn't different is their friendship. They have maintain their bond through the decades.
I loved hearing about Ames as they were growing up - they watched "Magic Window" with Miss Mary Jane just like I did! (we weren't watching in the same decades, but still.....). Most of all I related to the idea of friendships that span the years. I have many friends in this category and I think they are the greatest blessing. I'm getting misty just typing this!
Good book!

No comments: