Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Everything We Ever Wanted by Sara Shepard


We have lots of books by Ms. Shepard in our library but they are teen books. So normally I wouldn't have paid any attention to this one - except that I loved the cover. And that led me to reading the back of the book which led me to take it home! I enjoyed it a lot - it's full of family secrets within a dysfunctional family. Sylvie has recently been widowed. She has a married son, Charles, and her adopted son, Scott. Sylvie's passion is the private school which was founded by her grandfather. She has served on the board and appears to be prouder of that school than she is of either son. Scott has been helping with the wrestling program there. Everything falls apart one night when the school calls to tell her that there has been an 'incident'. A student appears to have killed himself - and perhaps it was a result of hazing. Oh, and did I mention that the student was a wrestler? But this really isn't about the wrestler. It is about the family's reaction to this possible scandal and one by one the layers of family secrets are revealed.

No comments: