Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Grown-up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson


I listened to this book although we do own the book. I began listening to it as I started out on a walk. I have to say that I really didn't enjoy the audio part of this book. The accents were a bit much for my tastes. However, by the end of the walk I was caught up in the story and was able to overlook (overhear????) the accents. The story is told in three different voices by the Slocumb women. Jenny (also referred to as Big) became a mother at 15. Her daughter Liza became a mother at 15. Liza's daughter, Mosey, is now 15 and although everyone is a bit nervous, there are more pressing issues facing the family. Liza has suffered a stroke and is barely able to communicate anything. In order to facilitate Liza's recovery, Big is going to put in a pool. On the day the big willow tree is being removed to make room for the pool their worlds explode when a box with a small skeleton is unearthed and in a garbled voice Liza cries out "My baby". Even though Liza and Big both made mistakes along the way they are family and they will protect each other. And how about Mosey ? Is she really family too?

No comments: