Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller FIC Hel

This is not the type of book that would normally attract my interest.  To be honest it was probably the dog that made me check it out.  The main character is a guy named Hig who narrates this story in a marvelous way and the love he has for Jasper is quite evident.  If you enjoy audio books I highly recommend that you listen to this book (it is available through our WILBOR site).  The book is almost poetic and the reader reads it in a most soothing manner.  And believe me, this is not a soothing book.  Civilization is almost extinct - well maybe it is.  Hard for Hig to know.  He lives at a little airstrip and shares the area with his beloved dog Jasper and a 'neighbor' named Bangley.  Bangley is militaristic and has set up rules for maintaining their perimeter.  Hig helps by flying around in his old Cessna. They have to kill people that try to come into their space -young and old, male and female.  It has been almost ten years since a flu pandemic swept the globe.  Hig lost his pregnant wife and everyone he knew.   It is a post apocalyptic world with no communication left except for his airplane radio and there doesn't seem to be anyone left to answer him.   The climate is changing and with that comes the gradual extinction of some of the things Hig loves best - the trout.
If I lost everyone I knew,  I don't think I would want to stay around - except if my dog was still here and she needed me!  I remember feeling the same way after reading On The Beach many years ago.  It's a different type of book but I liked it. 

No comments: