Monday, June 2, 2014

The Aviators by Winston Groom 629.13 Gro


I really enjoyed this book (I listened to the audio version) - but you have to like history!  It follows the lives of Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle and Charles Lindbergh.  The book covers their lives from childhood until death.  I thought Groom did a wonderful job of intertwining the stories.  He gives the growing up part of their stories and then goes into WWI.  We get caught up to date with what happened after that war and then what happens to them during WWII.  These men were so brave - and I am not talking about during the war!  The early age of aviation is so dangerous that it makes for a scary story.  Even though I knew that Lindbergh's solo across the Atlantic was successful, I was still nervous for him as I listened.

Besides the history it was also interesting (and sad!) to see how our heroes can be worshiped one day and fall out of grace the next.  If you are a history buff I think you would enjoy this book. 

No comments: