Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Melody Lingers On by Mary Higgins Clark FIC Cla

Fair is fair. After writing quite unfavorably about Clark's previous release, Death Wears a Beauty Mask, it was just days later that my name made it to the top of the holds list for The Melody Lingers On. After seeing another review source that recommended skipping this title, I almost did. But I've read this author's books for 40 years and just couldn't give it a pass. That's not to say it is an outstanding book, or that it is one of this author's best. It was an okay quick read.
The protagonist, an assistant to New York's premier interior designer, meets and begins dating the son of an unscrupulous hedge fund manager who disappeared a few years previously with all of his investors' money. Is he alive? Where is the money? Was his son involved? And where does his former paramour get all of her money? Good potential. It could have been so much better.
Clark was the queen of mystery for a long time. Stories were well-crafted, suspenseful, and filled with red herrings. More recently, I notice the skeleton is there but the flesh is pretty loose. Much of the background of the characters comes from "she/he thought" or "remembered" statements. I almost envision the character with the little speech bubble cloud used in comic strips to show thoughts.
I will say, though, that the plot ideas are intriguing, and I've always admired Clark for keeping her work chaste. She's a good author to suggest to readers who don't want to be subject to vulgarities, graphic descriptions of violence, or explicit sexuality.
That said, I'm just so much more an advocate of this country's free public library system, so I can read anything I want without having to pay for the privilege of doing so.

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

No comments: