Thursday, August 18, 2016

Raising Ryland by Hillary Whittington with Kristine Gasbarre 362.785 Whi

I didn't get anything done today - except to read this book.  After I finished it I went online to watch the video that was made by the Whittingtons and then I headed to Amazon to read some reviews.  There were 84% of the reviews that were five-stars. There were 13% four-star reviews - and one person who gave it three stars.  Here is that review:
"Although I didn't agree with the content of the book, it was interesting. I imagine this book is much better received in the West or North than the Deep South. This is definitely for a more liberal-minded mother. I was hoping to be more emphatic about childhood diversity, but this book did not convince me a child is old enough to decide his or her gender at five."

I wondered if that person actually read the book!  When Ryland was about one year old she was diagnosed as being profoundly deaf.  What a blow to the young parents.  How would they get through it?  Fortunately Ryland was a good candidate for cochlear implants and with a lot of hard work develops oral skills.  And she announces she is a boy.  Everyday Hillary tries to dress her there is a battle.  A pivotal point is when Ryland asks, 'mom, when the family dies....can I cut my hair so I can be a boy?"  They cut his hair and their little boy became a much happier kid.  An inspiring and touching story of a couple who decided they would do everything they could to make their child happy.  Ryland is an amazing boy!

Click for availability.

No comments: