Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Sapphire Widow by Dina Jefferies (FIC Fef)

It is 1935 in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and Louisa Reeve leads a privileged life.  Married to Elliott, a successful businessman, and the only child of an even more successful gem dealer, her only regret is her inability to bear children.  Longing to become a mother, she still mourns the loss of a stillborn daughter 2 years ago as well as several miscarriages.

When Elliott is killed suddenly, Louisa finds her life changed forever.  Her internal strength is tested as she attempts to forge a path through life without the man she adored.  And when she finds that Elliott not only had a long-term mistress but a child with her, Louisa wonders if anything in her life with him was real.

Louisa herself is very likable.  I liked her strength and her willingness to try new things.  If things were tied up a little bit too nicely, I didn't mind because that was the way I wanted it to!

Part of the reason I enjoyed this book was because it is set in a country I know very little about.  If I thought about Ceylon at all, I would have thought of tea and spices, horribly hot weather and high humidity.  The author, who grew up in that part of the world, shares her love of the area and by the end of the book I found myself thinking that maybe this was a place I should visit...

 

No comments: