Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Condition by Jennifer Haigh

In 1976 the McKotch family (Frank, Paulette and their three children-Gwen, Scott and Billy) is on their annual summer vacation on Cape Cod. Frank, who is an eminent scientist, sees his bikini-clad thirteen-year-old Gwen standing next to her cousin Charlotte who is younger. He knows immediately that something is wrong. Gwen has Turner's syndrome - a condition that has prevented her body from maturing.
This is what I read on the book flap. Quick as I am, I assumed the book was going to be about Gwen and her Turner's. And it is - sometimes. But the "Condition" refers to all members of the family and their journey during the next 20 years. I think it is a well-written book and it did keep my interest.
The only down-side for me was that I didn't really like any of the characters and wasn't sad that the book ended.

No comments: