Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cherries in Winter by Suzan Colon 394.1 Col

The rest of the title of this book is ' My Family's Recipe For Hope in Hard Times'. What originally attracted me to the book was the cover. When I read the blurb I was hooked. Colon worked for a magazine in New York City. It was the best of times. She gave little thought to the expensive bottled water she drank, the eyebrow-tweezing (I think she paid about $40 for that every three weeks), the hair stylist who billed $300 a cut(-but Colon got a discount) or the massages she got on a regular basis. Then 2008 sent the world into a spin and Colon was unemployed. Now everything she looked at was with different eyes. Things now were equal to a week's worth of groceries instead of a price that meant little to her.
To get through this tough time, she looked to her family. She starts looking through the recipes of her Nana for ideas of inexpensive but hearty food. Along with the recipes she learns a lot about how her family and gotten through the Depression and other times which were hard.
I really liked the book. I believe there are lessons and reminders for everyone in this book. I highly recommend it!

No comments: