Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway FIC Shu

        When I was much younger I read Glamour magazine which every year would feature 10 college girls from across the country.  I think that memory is what led me to check out this book - and I loved it.  The story features Dawn West who is a recent college grad.  She wants to be a writer and is trying to survive in NYC.  Her only income at the moment is coming from a column she writes on-line about lawn care.  Now Dawn doesn't actually have any experience with lawns but she is a good researcher - and she has a fan base even if she doesn't make much money.  Through the new girlfriend of her ex-boyfriend she is introduced to a woman who works for Charm magazine.  They publish an article every year about 10 women to watch!  It has been going on for 50 years and the magazine plans a major event to celebrate those women and they need someone to track down the past winners.  I loved the way Shumway wrote.  The characters she has created are great and I found myself caring about them in a way that made me want to know what was going to happen to them.  Looking for a book that is not too graphic, violent or weird?  Then check this one out and just enjoy the ride.

No comments: