Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The People in the Photo by Hélène Gestern FIC Ger

Another debut novel that was a winner in my opinion.  I don't believe I have ever finished a book that was composed exclusively of letters between the characters.  For some reason I just don't like that setup.  However, I was instantly hooked on this one and it read beautifully.  I can often pick a good book by its cover!

It begins with Hélène Hiver receiving a letter in response to an advertisement she had placed in several newspapers.  It was an old picture of her mother with two men.  It was taken at an amateur tennis tournament.  Her mother was identified as was one of the two men.  Hélène wants to track down this man in an attempt to find out about her mother who died when Hélène was just three.  Her father and adoptive mother would never speak about her.  Her father is gone and her adoptive mother is in a care facility and no longer recognizes Hélène.  The letter she receives is from the son of that man (who is now deceased).  Together they begin a correspondence which will lead them down a path to explain the behavior of their parents.  It is a quick read - and I read it even quicker than usual because I wanted to know what they found out!

No comments: