Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Confessions of Frances Godwin by Robert Hellenga FIC Hel

I enjoyed this book a lot.  When I read the cover I thought it would appeal to me because Frances Godwin and I were both  language teachers.   By the end of the first page I had 'bonded' with Frances.  On her last day at school she made the observation that "The students were looking ahead, I was looking back:  they were letting go, I was hanging on." Her program was being phased out - budget cuts.  Her classroom was filled with lots of clutter (administrators!) / cultural enrichment (teachers!).  Her husband has been dead for five years.  While cleaning out her classroom she overdoes it and finds herself in need of a hernia repair.  Before every surgery there is paperwork with lots of boxes to check.  When she saw "Do not resuscitate" she checked it.   That caused an uproar!  I have only covered the first four pages!  She survives the surgery (!).  She decides she needs to leave a confession about something so she begins writing and continues on for two weeks.  So the story really begins with her first intimate moments with Paul...........................   

No comments: