Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein FIC Ste

This book came out several years ago and a friend recommended that I read it.  But knowing that it was about a dog's life I knew that it was also about the end of a dog's life.  Having elderly dogs at the time I couldn't face a sad dog story.  Now I have an energetic 3 year old and I was strong enough to read this!   It was a wonderful book.  Well-written and emotionally engaging.   It is told through the eyes of Enzo a mixed-breed dog who is at the end of his life.  He isn't sad about it because he intends to come back as a man.  He is quite the philosopher and has learned a lot by watching tv and he is quite worldly!

Enzo began his family life with just Denny who is in the world of auto racing.  Over the years Denny marries Eve and they have a daughter, Zoe.  Enzo takes his responsibilities very seriously.  The years bring a lot of joy and a lot of heartache.  Through every part of the journey Enzo is by Denny's side.  I laughed and I cried - it is a great book.

No comments: