Saturday, June 6, 2015

Dead Wake: the Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson 940.4 Lar


Of course I have known the story of the Lusitania for decades. Yet as I listened to the audiobook I found myself trying to warn these people of what was going to happen.  Hoping against hope that in this story the ship won't sink.  That is how involved I became with this historic event.  You don't just hear the story from the point of view of those on the ship but from those in the U-boat also - seems a very secret British intelligence group was tracking that boat.

It is also an interesting look into the society of the early 20th century - the class system was alive and well.  The people who boarded the luxury ship were warned about the dangers of travel but they didn't pay much attention to it.  After all it wouldn't be right for a civilian ship to be attacked.  People didn't do that!  But Germany changed the rules without notice.

Throughout the book I became very invested in these people and worried about learning their fate.  A fascinating piece of history brought to you by a very gifted writer.

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Loved this book also - even though I knew what was going to happen, I kept (irrationally, I know) hoping for a different ending.