Saturday, December 26, 2015

Had I known: a memoir of survival by Joan Lunden 616.99 Lun

I remember Joan Lunden from her days on morning TV.  I wasn't aware that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer until she made the brave decision to appear on the front of People Magazine - with no hair.  If you read the book you will find out that she didn't intend to do that when she agreed to the interview but decided (after getting the okay from her kids) that she should bravely show the world her battle.  Then I was diagnosed with the disease also and found myself doing a lot of reading on the subject!   Being a journalist, Joan did a great job of telling her story.

She neither understates or overstates what she went through - she just tells the truth.  Some parts of the books made me teary and other parts made me laugh.

Joan's story is not everyone's story.  Having money, connections and a very supportive family made it easier (but not easy!) for her to go through the treatments.  But none of those things help with the mouth sores, lack of appetite, fatigue, etc.   She did give lots of little tips throughout the book for people to try.

I think it is a great book for anyone fighting breast cancer and for anyone who is close to someone going through it.

No comments: