Sunday, January 8, 2017

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett FIC Pat

Another great read by Patchett!  This book spans about fifty years and it all begins with two couples.  Teresa and Bert have three children and are expecting another.  Beverly and Fix have two daughters.  They are neighbors and friends.  But at one cookout an event (a kiss) leads to a situation which will have an impact on many lives throughout the decades.  Bert and Beverly end up married with six kids between them.  During the summer all of them spend time together with Bert and Beverly - and it made me tired just reading about the chaos.   One summer there is a death that changes everyone.

There were funny parts and sad parts.  I listened to the audiobook which was well-done.  I did have trouble keeping everyone straight - 50 years includes a lot of people.  This book does not start at point A and go to Z.  I often had to take a minute and figure out who belonged to whom - I think it was a good brain exercise!   In my opinion it is a book that is best read with few distractions but it was well worth it.

Click for availability.

No comments: