Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Bringing Columbia Home by Michael Leinbach and Jonathan Ward 363.124 Lei


I like reading non-fiction and have read many books about historical moments of tragedy.  For me, however, this one is a bit different because it just happened 15 years ago and I remember when it happened.  I think that is why it was a more emotional read than others have been.  I am so old that I remember when we started exploring space.  I was in 7th grade and I was not all that excited about it. I was of course aware of the program as it expanded and I was certainly glued to the TV as man walked on the moon.  The shuttle program was impressive but it became a usual event.  But then the Challenger exploded - I remember that day so well.

Michael Leinbach was the launch director of the space shuttle program.  When the Columbia was lost he was impacted on many levels.  You can really feel the emotional distress in this book. The desperate search to find remains of all the crew members was done by many volunteers and also by friends and colleagues of those lost.  The physical challenges to bring home those remains and as much of the Columbia as they could were brutal.  The terrain was so rough that one man said his clothes would barely last for two days before they had to be replaced.

This was a touching and important book.

Click for availability.

   



No comments: