Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Soul of America: the battle for our better angels 973 MEA

     Unless you are able to totally ignore what it going on in government and politics, you are possibly depressed.  That was how I felt when I began this book.  I have seem Jon Meacham many times on television and I could listen to him talking about history all day long.  His title is taken from a phrase in Lincoln’s first inaugural address.
       Meacham takes us through many times in American history when it seemed our country, and what it stands for, was in danger. The time span of this book goes from Lincoln and slavery to Lyndon Johnson and civil rights changes.  By telling us about many of the crises that have occurred - and that still our country has endured, I  feel (a bit) better.  I definitely feel I am better educated about American history!
   

No comments: