Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Wunderland by Jennifer Cody Epstein FIC EPS

          WWII is one of my time periods when it comes to books.  So the minute I saw the cover I knew I would love it.  And I did.
    In 1989 Ava Fisher is living  with her teen daughter in NYC.  She was born in Germany.  She never knew her father who was killed.  Her mother, Ilse, had sent Ava to an orphanage during the war for her protection.  Ava waited years for her mother to come back for her.  Their relationship has always been shaky. In fact, Ava told her daughter that Iles died a long time ago.
       And then one day she receives a package from an attorney in Germany.  It contains her mother's ashes and letters addressed to someone Ava had never know.
      That is part of the story.  The other part is the life of Iles.  She was a teen when Hitler was beginning his reign of terror.  But for Iles and her best friend Renate it seems more exciting than scary at the beginning.  But things change for Iles as she sees the awful things that happen to her friends, neighbors and town.
     These two stories were interwoven in a way that kept me engaged from page one to the last past.

No comments: