Thursday, April 16, 2009

Gimme Shelter by Mary Elizabeth Williams 333.33 wil

I enjoy reading non-fiction. I often read true-crime stories. The crime in this book gave me the shivers. It's about the crime of the century - the housing/mortgage debacle! Mary and her husband are true New Yorkers - they can't imagine living anywhere but New York City. The book begins several years ago. Mary and Jeff are living with their daughter Lucy in an apartment in Brooklyn. "a one plus den (Brooklynese for the cell-like side room that every apartment seems equipped with). It probably measured 750 square feet in its dream." They have decided that they are tired of paying $1800/ month for this apartment and that it's time to start the quest for their piece of the American Dream.
This book tells the story of their quest. During their three-year search, prices were skyrocketing in New York. The descriptions of the places they visited and also the real estate stories of their friends were enough to keep me reading at a quick pace. I just couldn't believe that this was non-fiction! Sure I've heard stories and seen things on television - but why would anyone pay so much for so little in a place that is so packed with people????
I'm just a small-town girl - but at least I have a yard!
Fascinating read.

1 comment:

embeedub said...

Thank you so much for the review, Sue!

I was blogging for Powells.com recently, and said that I wanted the book to read like a horror story, so those shivers you got were intentional!

Place is such an intimate, personal thing. As my friend Cynthia says in the book, it's who you are. It's as profound and passionate relationship as one can ever have. And that deep desire for that place that feels like home is deeply ingrained in our American character. We're all looking for the love of our lives.

So in spite of all the nightmares along the way, I feel so grateful to have found that.