Thursday, April 30, 2009

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg

Another great novel by Ms. Berg. Her characters are so real that I feel like I know them. Helen Ames is the main character. She is a daughter to aging parents, an over-protective mother to a 27-yr old daughter and poorly-prepared widow after the death of her beloved husband Dan. Although Helen made good money as a published author, Dan took care of everything in Helen's world. It is all Helen can do to get out of bed in the morning - well late morning. As if things weren't bad enough with Helen being unable to write, her accountant finally gets through to her with the news that her half of a million dollars in the bank is down to fifty thousand. Dan had withdrawn large amounts of money during the past few years. You can see that Helen has plenty on her plate! No matter your age, you will find yourself relating to someone in the story. I read this in one day - now I have to wait months and months until her next book - and that makes me sad.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I'm anxious to read this one. She will be in DM on June 2 promoting it.