Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Long Way Home by Robin Pilcher

One of my favorite authors has always been Rosamund Pilcher. I think she has stopped writing (okay she is in her late eighties - but still.....) so I have turned to her son Robin. This book had all of the flavor of the things I loved about his mother's books. The book makes me long to move to a Scottish village and the people seem so alive that I think I would recognize them anywhere!
Other than her immediate family in New York, Claire Barclay has no one left in the world with the exception of her stepfather Leo. There is a deep bond between Leo and Claire and they talk on a regular basis with occasional visits. She does more for Leo than his own children do.
Leo has a stroke and Claire (with family) go to Scotland to look after him for the summer. It is obvious that Leo is slowly sinking into some sort of dementia. Throw in a former flame, angry step siblings, a will, some real estate plans and....well you have a story!
If you like a gentle read on a hot afternoon you will not be disappointed.

No comments: