Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen 921

     I loved this book!!!! (I listened to the audio book read by the author and it was great.)  Quindlen is a talented novelist but she also is a columnist and this book is like a collection of columns.  Reflections on life - past, present and future.  She talks about our compulsion to own stuff - lots and lots of stuff.  When she reminisces about starting out and the few possessions she had I laughed out loud.  One of her prized possessions was a bent-wood rocker - and I dreamed about owning one of those.  (I don't quite know why I didn't save up some money and just buy it!) She writes about girlfriends and their importance in our lives.  Quindlen is a Catholic and she talks about her beliefs and some of the struggles she has had with her church.  There are many other topics that she touches on - all of them interesting and entertaining.  If you too can remember the hey day of the bent-wood rocker, please pick up this book.  You will not be disappointed. 

No comments: