Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt FIC Tar

I loved the cover of this book (I am so shallow) and wanted to read it but it was so popular that it had holds and I didn't want to have to find time to read a 750+ page book on a deadline.  When I discovered the audio on Wilbor I put it on hold.  It was about 36 hours long!  But I have lots of time to listen while walking, gardening, cleaning, etc.  And I finished it on the sixth day.  So you can guess that I liked it.  It's hard to pinpoint the exact reason.  I felt sorry for Theo, the main character, but I never really liked him that much during much of the book.  A lot of things happen but I was rarely on the edge of my seat. Somehow Ms. Tartt just reeled me in.  When the story begins Theo and his mom have been actually enjoying life since father/ husband has left with no forwarding address.  This happiness doesn't last long because of a tragic accident.  Theo has to carry the guilt that he was the reason they were in the museum when an explosion takes the life of his mom.  Theo is knocked out but when he comes to he sees an old man who is dying.  He asks Theo to take care of a dying request.  As Theo looks around the shambles he notices The Goldfinch (a famous painting that really does exist).  And he takes it.  With no mother and a father who is MIA Theo goes to live with the family of a childhood friend.  The story jumps through the different phases of Theo's life.  Love, loss, friendship, obsession - a bit of everything.  The thing I liked least about the book was all the drug taking - there was a lot of it and probably took up at least 100 pages!  All in all I liked the book but you have to be ready for a commitment!

No comments: