Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin 347.73 Too

   
We own this book but you can also download the audio book from Wilbor which is what I did.  I found it to be a very interesting book. There is plenty of history of the Supreme Court and the building itself, but most of it is about the time between the early 1990's to around 2007 (although Roe v  Wade and the whole abortion issue is brought up a lot!!).  There are lots of interesting cases from that time period - Clinton's impeachment, affirmative action, gay rights, Bush v Gore, the death penalty and so much more.

In my younger years I didn't think often about the Supreme Court - I just assumed they were supposed to look at the Constitution and that they were unbiased.  Well of course that isn't exactly how it works.  And reading about how they are vetted and chosen turned my stomach most of the time.  It is a very readable book and you will learn a lot.  Will you be happier after learning some of the behind the scene stories?  You will probably be a bit depressed like I was but we probably should understand the court a bit more than we do!

No comments: