Saturday, December 26, 2015

Escape Points by Michele Weldon 362.1969 Wel

 
This memoir has three themes - wrestling, breast cancer and being a single mom.  Weldon is a journalist and a published author so she knows how to write a book.  The chapters take their titles from wrestling terms.  I recognized that and I was pretty proud of myself because I don't know much about the sport.  The wrestling part of the book has to do with her three sons who all participated in the sport.  It is less about the sport per se but more about what it takes for these young men to be a part of it.  And equally important what it takes for a single mom to be a 'wrestling mom'.  It wore me out just reading about it.

To make things a bit more interesting she is diagnosed with breast cancer.  This is a lot to deal with - and she does it totally on her own.  She left her husband when her kids were still young.  (She wrote the book "I Closed My Eyes: Revelations of a Battered Woman" so I guess we know why the marriage didn't last).  He was an absentee father who broke the hearts of his sons over and over.  And financially responsible?  Not at all.

It was an interesting book and I imagine a lot of people can relate to things she has gone through.

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

No comments: