Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Common Struggle by Patrick Kennedy 616.89 Ken

   
I became interested in this book when I saw Patrick Kennedy on television talking about it.  Before reading this I could have only told you a few things about him.  After reading it I felt like I knew him - and all of the secrets he hid (or tried to) for years.  He said in the interview that many members of his family were unhappy that he was publishing this book.  I'm not surprised because there are many unflattering stories about his family's struggles.  His personal story of addiction and mental health issues is laid out for everyone to read.   How he managed to serve in Congress all of those years is unbelievable.  Covering up his personal problems was not an easy task.  But he had learned a lot of that in his own home growing up.  He wants to bring mental health problems out of the shadows, turn it into a discussion and change the system so that people can get the help they need.  A powerful story.

Click for availability.

No comments: