Saturday, July 28, 2018

Natural Causes by Barbara Ehrenreich 306.9 EHR

          At the beginning of this century I read Ehrenreich's book Nickel and Dimed.  It made an impression on me that remains today.  So when I saw this book I immediately checked it out.
     A short summary of the book is the subtitle : An Epidemic Of Wellness, The Certainty of Dying and Killing Ourselves To Live Longer.
     I loved the first chapter which she titled Midlife Revolt.  She explains how her attitude toward annual exams, screenings and other things suggested by the medical community has changed.  Her explanation made total sense to me (although I might be in the minority).  Her second chapter is "Rituals of Humiliation" and I am sure that all women can relate to what Ehrenreich has written.
    I will admit that there were parts of the book that became a bit too scientific and I did some skimming.
     All in all I enjoyed the book and gave me a lot of things to think about at this stage of of my life.

No comments: