Thursday, May 2, 2019

The Good Neighbor The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King 791.4502

  I am no spring chicken and you may be surprised that I have never, ever seen an episode of "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood".  Of course I knew who he was, the name of his show and even what he wore during the show.  I knew all of that from the many parodies on tv shows.  A few months ago I recorded the movie on him that was shown on IPTV.  It was something I was going to watch someday.  Then one Sunday my minister announced that the sermons during Lent would be based on Mr. Rogers.  When the children came forward for their sermon we would all sing "It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood" and my minister would change into a cardigan, call for trolley to come out of his temporary home, and make-shift puppets would appear.  During the sermons there were pictures and snippets from the show.  I watched the movie - which was great.
     I was hooked.  In this world that often seems topsy-turvy it was wonderful to escape to a book and read about the life of Mr. Rogers.  From his not always so perfect childhood to his fight for quality children's programming, to the effect he had on people until the day he died - and beyond.   If you need an emotional, spiritual, nostalgic break, I suggested you check out this book.

No comments: