Thursday, November 15, 2007

a few thoughts on books I've loved and hated recently

Most books that I finish are rated good to great (by me). Otherwise I will quit at the point that I don't like it. With authors that I usually enjoy I'm willing to keep going in hopes that the end will justify my decision. Next time I might quit early!
James Patterson and his co-author du jour never create stories that are as good as Patterson's Cross or The Women's Murder Club series. But some of them have been okay. You've Been Warned was awful!! There are no sympathetic characters. I find it hard to like a book if there is no one in the book to root for. At the end I thought everything would be explained to my satisfaction. It wasn't. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone unless you are stuck in a doctor's office and there is no other reading material available.

Alice Sebold blew me away with her book The Lovely Bones. The Almost Moon was a bit of a disappointment. Again I found no truly sympathetic characters and some of the reactions and decisions of the characters seemed way off base. I would love to hear what other people thought about it.

I enjoyed reading The Faraday Girls by Monica Mcinerney. It is the story of a family of girls who had lost their mother years earlier. They live with their father. One of the girls becomes pregnant and it affects the family for years. It is not a real deep book but I liked it and was sad to see it end.

No comments: