Thursday, November 15, 2007

My New Favorite Author

A recent trip to Scotland increased my awareness of books by Ian Rankin. He is a Scottish mystery author and writes several series. The newest one in his John Rebus series had just been published when we were there so the book and his face were in every bookstore I went into. And then to make things even more fun, I heard him interviewed on the radio the week after I got back. Needless to say, I've been reading his books since!

I have to say that John Rebus is not a character I would normally like. As a police investigator, he is good but as a person he leaves a lot to be desired. He is flawed (alcoholic or not - you can decide) and resistant to authority. In spite of that, I like the character and the books and am almost always surprised by the way they end.

No comments: