Thursday, May 10, 2012

Decoding Gardening Advice by Jeff Gillman and Meleah Maynard 635Gil

      The sub-title of this book is The Science Behind the 100 Most Common Recommendations.  So that sums up the book - I don't really have to tell you any more than that.  But of course I will!  There are 8 chapters covering soil, water, pests(and weeds), mulch, annuals (perennials and bulbs), trees (and shrubs) vegetables and fruit and lawn care.  In my opinion what makes this book great is the way the information is presented.  At the beginning of each chapter you can see what is covered.  Now here is the cool part!  It is divided into 3 columns:  Good Advice,  Advice That's Debatable and Advice That's Just Wrong.  If you only read that part you will learn something.  But keep reading because the advice is explained.  I think I'll see if I can buy an e-edition so that I can have it for reference.  Oh, one more thing - please don't think that the condition of my garden and lawn is any reflection on the advice in this book.  I have a puppy - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

No comments: