Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Dog Lived (and So Will I) by Teresa Rhyne 362.196 Rhy

Another memoir. Another story of a young woman with cancer.  Another story of the love between a dog and a human.  Put that all together and you have a great read.  Loved this book.  The first part of the book is mostly the story of Seamus.  Teresa had been through two divorces and the loss of two beagles.  The only good thing in her life is her job (she is a lawyer) and her new boyfriend (who is quite a bit younger than she is).  After returning from a trip to Ireland (in an attempt to get away and start fresh upon her return) she gets a call from a Rescue organization who has a Beagle that needs a home.  She tells Chris, her boyfriend, about the call and is shocked at his response.  Seems he isn't "much of a dog person".  She is shocked.  "Not a dog person? How had I missed that? I knew he was a Republican and I overlooked that.  I knew he was inappropriately young, and I was working on overlooking that. How did I miss that he was not a dog person?"  Chris and Seamus didn't hit it off at first but eventually he comes to love him.  Then Seamus is diagnosed with cancer.  Teresa spends LOTS of money and time to save her companion.  A year later it is Seamus' turn to help Teresa when she gets cancer.  A very heartwarming story that is well-written.  Check it out!

No comments: