Saturday, January 4, 2014

Little Wolves by Thomas Maltman FIC Mal

     
This book is the All-Iowa Reads selection for 2014.  The first description I heard of it did not make me want to read it.  However, when I looked at a few reviews my interest returned.  I listened to the audio version from WILBOR and I enjoyed the book a lot.  It takes place in the 1980's in a Minnesota farming community.  Life is hard because of a drought that is touching the lives of everyone there.  There are a few story lines that intertwine. Clara is married to Logan who has come to this small town to serve his first congregation.  It isn't easy for him to fit into this close-knit community and he doesn't have a lot of confidence.  To make things more stressful for him, he is going to be a father - and he had been perfectly clear with Clara that he didn't want children.

Grizz (old football nickname!) is trying to keep his farm going.  Life is stressful for him too because his son Seth has been a handful.  Grizz, however, didn't know how bad it could be - until the sheriff arrived and told him that Seth had shot and killed Grizz's best friend and now he was missing.  It seems that the whys of the murder will never be known when Seth's body is discovered.

This book kept my interest from beginning to end.  And there are some real little wolves in the story that actually play an important part.  Join us at the library in April for a discussion of this selection!

1 comment:

Jane said...

I felt the same way as Sue when I heard the title of the All Iowa Reads Choice. It took me about three paragraphs to change my mind. The plot lines are so intricately woven that I felt I should read it again right away just to pick up on some nuances that escaped my notice the first time through. Alas, I don't choose to spend my time rereading books because that uses up valuable time I could be spending on new stories. This one would be one I could pick up again, however.