Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Rainbow Comes and Goes by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt 070.92 Coo


I loved this book!   Anderson Cooper has been one of my favorites on TV but I had no idea that he was the son of Gloria Vanderbilt.  If you had asked me what I knew about Ms. Vanderbilt I would only have been able to say that she designed some very expensive jeans and that she had been referred to at some point in time as the "Poor little rich girl".  Her life is a lot more interesting (and often heartbreaking) than that of the average person!  Though her life was interesting that wasn't my favorite part of the book.

When Gloria turned 91 she and Anderson began a special correspondence that lasted a year.  Anderson knew very little of the real story of his mom's life.  He began to ask some questions and she answered them in a very honest way.   The sub-title of this book is "A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss" sums up this book!   There were many times when I would pause and reread a passage that spoke to me.

One of my favorites refers to the title of the book.  Here's a quote:  "In every life , you have moments of blinding beauty and happiness, and then you land in a dark cave and there is no color, no sky.  Then the rainbow returns, sometimes only briefly, but it always does come back.  You have to believe that it will, even in the darkest of times.  That belief is what is really important."

Click for availability.

No comments: