Monday, July 25, 2016

The Bridge Ladies: a memoir by Betsy Lerner 305.2 Ler

  
I loved this book.  The Bridge Ladies refers to the women with whom Betsy's mom has been playing bridge for decades.  Betsy has known these women since she was a child and her attitude toward the 'bridge club' changed as she grew up.  Then Betsy left to get an education and live her own life.  After twenty years of living and working in NYC her husband is offered a great job and Betsy finds herself moving back to New Haven - where her mother still lives.

The book is about the relationship between mother and daughter.  Betsy will find out things about her mother's life that she never knew before.  The story of the other ladies is interwoven.  Since I lived in part of the club's era I found it fascinating.  I also play bridge so I enjoyed Betsy's attempt to learn the game.  Any mother or daughter will recognize some of the issues between the generations.  At times I had tears in my eyes and other times I laughed out loud.  Great book!

Click for availability.

No comments: