Thursday, February 14, 2019

Goodbye, Sweet Girl by Kelly Sundberg 362.8292 SUN

      I picked up this book along with some others about a month ago.  The others had holds on them and this one fell to the bottom of the pile.  I renewed it but I still hadn't started it.  Two days ago I finally started reading it and finished it the same day.  So obviously I liked it!
       The sub-title is A Story of Domestic Violence and Survival.  That should give you a good idea that it isn't a fluffy, feel-good book.  It is a compelling book that will make you understand a few hard truths.  The experiences of childhood has a big impact on the adult that one becomes.  You can really understand how the violence begins and why women don't run away at the first signs of trouble.  It is a reminder that violence is perpetrated by people from all walks of life - college teachers are not exempt.
      This story might alert people to be more aware of friends, family or colleagues who may be in a dangerous situation.  If you find out that someone you know left a domestic violent situation I think you will understand better why she didn't 'just leave'.

No comments: