Monday, August 2, 2010

Red Hook Road by Ayelet Waldman

Becca is the daughter of a well-to-do family with a summer home in Red Hook. John's mother, Jane, cleans for Becca's mom, Iris, and others. Of course they fall madly in love and marry. They are blissfully happy and never have a cross word for each other during their marriage. But to be fair I should tell you that the marriage only lasted a few hours. They were tragically killed when their limo is hit by another car as they returned to the reception after taking pictures. So although John and Becca are talked about during the entire book, we are never part of their lives -just their deaths. This book is about the two families over the next four summers - how their lives and their sorrows intertwine. I think it is well-written and very readable. The end, however, - oh the end. I am not sure what happened! I think I know but I read and reread it a few times.
Interesting characters and believable actions make it a good read.

No comments: