Saturday, July 23, 2011

Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook


"Okay, so I accidentally wrapped my reading glasses in one of the packages I mailed." Thus begins this book. Do you find this statement to be unbelievable or just an ordinary event? If it is the latter, then this book is for you. The story is actually about home stager Sandy who is trying to light a fire under her husband to help her get their own house cleared out so that they can downsize. This includes getting her grown-up son out of their basement (or the "bat cave"). It is not going well. So when she has a chance to go work on a hotel in Atlanta and stay with her newly married daughter, she decides to take it. The storyline is okay. What I loved in this book was the writing - almost every page found me laughing out loud or at least brought a smile to my face. The part where she is going through sentimental things in the cupboards is priceless. She calls her daughter Shannon to see if she would be interested in the Danish modern stainless trays (wedding gift!). Shannon's reply : "I don't know. would you want me to have them if I were a client? Or is it purely sentimental, and you just don't want to be the one to dump them?". There were many relatable moments. I think this is a book I will want to reread in a couple of years!

No comments: