Friday, October 7, 2011

Going Home: finding peace when pets die by Jon Katz 155.937 Kat


I love dogs. I love to read. But normally I do not combine the two - especially if I have any indication that the dog is going to die. (I know he's going to die - I just meant during the book!) I did love Marley and Me, but it took me over a year to get up the nerve to read it. Right now I have two adorable Yorkies waiting for me at home. This month they turn 15 1/2 and 14 1/2. That's old. That is really old. So the time is approaching. I know what needs to be done and I will be able to do it as I have done for past pets. I just thought I might need a pep-talk about my responsibilities. I was only able to read two or three pages a night - because I cried all the way through. A few days ago I got home from work and decided to just finish the book and the cry in one sitting. It isn't a very long book but it is long on good advice. I hope you are not in a situation where you need a book like this. If you are preparing for this sad event, buy a new box of Kleenex, grab this book and find a private place to read.

No comments: