Monday, November 21, 2011

Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn 641.507 Fli


I loved Flinn's first book which told about her experiences attending the Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris. Back home she wasn't sure where she wanted her live to go....and then she saw this woman in the grocery store. Her cart was filled with examples of what not to eat for a healthy life. After covertly (she thought) following her around the store, Flinn approached her to ask a few questions and make some suggestions of things that would be healthier and cheaper. Although the woman didn't get down on her knees and promise to convert, this event gives Flinn an idea. She recruits some volunteers - woman who thought they were terrible cooks, or they thought they couldn't afford to eat 'real' food or they didn't have any idea about how to fix food. She visits these women in their homes. (The group included women who were single, married, rich and not so rich and of all ages.). Each was asked to prepare one of her typical dishesl. Flinn also went through the pantries to take inventory. I was embarrassed just thinking about my own stash of food! Then the 'classes' began. (I copied down some of the tips for myself! She was right about the way to hold the knife and cutting an onion went better than usual too!) I loved getting to know the 'students'. Flinn even inspired me a bit! I might actually make something....tomorrow.

No comments: