Monday, February 6, 2012

The First Husband by Laura Dave (FIC Dav)


At 32, Annie is a successful travel writer with a long-time live-in boyfriend who doesn't like the idea of marriage - they are "beyond that". When Nick, now a successful movie director, tells her that he has met someone else and wants out, Annie, who survived a childhood of moving, picks herself up and tries to move on. On a trip to her favorite local restaurant and bar, she meets Griffin, the substitute chef, and within three months finds herself married and living in western Massachusetts. Not used to trusting herself or others, she is still trying to adjust to the changes in her life when Nick walks back into her life. With marriage on his mind.

I always hate it when people tell me a book is a "quick read." What if it isn't for me? What if it takes me days rather than hours to read it? What does all that say about me?

Now, of course, I sound like Annie who was a character I really rooted for. Who among us hasn't made a snap decision and then wondered if we had made the right one? OK, so Annie's snap decision had major complications but I still enjoyed this "quick read" (think "the length of the Super Bowl" and you'll know what I mean) and found myself turning the pages to see how it all turned out.

No comments: