Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Odds by Stewart O'Nan


I read a couple of books by O'Nan earlier this year and loved them. This was good but it is short. (I generally favor long books!) I think that it shows his skill as a writer that he can produce great work in so few pages. This book takes place over one weekend. It is not the first time Marion and Art Fowler have been to Niagara Falls. Thirty years ago they were there after their wedding. Now here they are back. And it's Valentine's Day weekend. And Art has booked the bridal suite. Sounds so romantic...... Actually they are in financial ruin. Both are jobless and although they have been trying to sell the house, they will will probably lose it. And did I mention that the marriage is going to be lost also? This weekend is a farewell to what they had and lost. So what are the odds that you will like this book? I think the odds are excellent.

No comments: