Sunday, September 6, 2015

Mess by Barry Yourgrau 616.85 You

This was a good book for me to read.  There haven't been any hoarding shows on tv for a while and that is where I always get some inspiration to tidy up.  When I took a break from reading I would do just that!   One day Barry was startled to hear his doorbell ring.  It was his long time girlfriend, Cosima.  Although he traveled with her for her career and they spent every night together (at her place), this was the first time she had come to his apartment in five years!!!!  She was there to get a set of keys for her place because she had locked herself out and she had bags full of groceries.  He did give her the keys but didn't let her in.  It's obvious from the title of the book what the problem was.  Cosima has had it and gives him an ultimatum.

He realizes that he doesn't want to lose her but it isn't that easy to clean up a hoarded one-bedroom apartment.  Being a writer he decided he would document his journey.  And thus we have a book.  I think it was about two years before he was finally victorious.  During that time he would visit with experts, join support groups, see his shrink, research hoarding and actually visit some hoards.  It was an interesting book.  I would tell you  more about it but I have to go unload my dishwasher and put everything away..........

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

No comments: