Monday, February 2, 2009

The Distance Between Us by Bart Yates (Fiction)

At 71, Hester Parker is dealing with the end of her 45-year marriage. When she rents her upstairs apartment to a young college student, she has no idea of the impact he will have on her family.

Hester is handling a lot - the end of her concert pianist career many years before, her children who want nothing to do with her, the fact that her husband left her for another woman. She is bitter and angry. Her biting wit can hide many things but not this.

Many times while reading this book, I wanted to shake everyone in it. Although I didn't always agree with Hester, I found myself liking her and understanding where her actions were coming from.

I enjoyed the way the author wrote, especially about music and the way it affected all of the characters in the book. His characters were believable and compelling and the pages flew by all too quickly.

No comments: