Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Leeway Cottage by Beth Gutcheon

A new book caught my eye and I began reading the jacket. There I discovered that it was a follow-up book to this book, Leeway Cottage. Often it is not that important to read books in order since the author manages to bring you up to date with what has gone on with the characters. In this case I am very glad I read this one first. It is the generational story of a family who summer in a coastal village in Maine. The main character is Sydney who grew up with a loving father and a jealous, cold mother. At the beginning of World War II she falls in love with Laurus, a talented pianist from Denmark. They elope. A year later they begin a four-year separation when Laurus goes to London to help organize a Danish Resistance. I was fascinated by this part of the story that told about what went on in Denmark during that time. They rescued almost all of the 7000 Jews in their country.
Laurus comes back home and meets his nearly four-year-old daughter and begins the next phase of his life. The characters are interesting and the background is well-done. I am almost half-way through the second book which picks up immediately after the death of Sydney and Laurus. I'll be blogging on that one soon!

No comments: